In fact, this month of enforced moderation has been great for rediscovering just how little one really needs, in the material sense. I'm enjoying cooking with all our fresh herbs, giving away the parsley, and generally appreciating all the simple things at the moment...
These roses are growing in our experimental worm-garden out the back. I love the texture of the Mopane bark behind the flowers.
Time for some seasonal updates:
Migratory birds: In my last post, I anticipated the arrival of our pair of Paradise Flycatchers, who like to appear in our garden on the 9th of October every year. On the morning of the 9th, right on schedule, I was overjoyed to spot the flash of a long, cinnamon coloured tail in the trees, and to hear their chattery calls, absent for so long! I've become extremely attached to these birds, and their annual re-appearance means a lot to me.
Research tells me that the same birds come to the same place, every year! I can't post an image as any of my photos are just tiny specks - very hard to capture!
The Weather: I'm not going to dwell (too much) on the usual southern african complaint regarding October. In a nutshell: It's ferociously hot, and we are waiting for the rainy season to start after several months without a drop of rain. Traditionally, this is a time of year to be patiently endured: temperatures and tempers flare, bush fires rage, and all this against a backdrop of parched soil, and glaring blue skies. It does really make you appreciate the miraculous springtime greenery on all the trees, defying the baked-dryness below.
Here are some buffaloes on the road to work - returning from an early morning visit to the river
Being a riverine town, we are luckier than others in the country right now, of course. Our river is beautiful and cooling, plus the bush fires and haze of October do produce spectacular sunsets. Thank goodness for our boat, which is our ticket to freedom on the water, and our saving grace at this time...
Murphy's Law: Several of our appliances, with their usual impeccable timing have recently chosen to terminate their services. Worst of all has been the appearance of an inscrutable electronic ERR message on our camera, which has now been sent off to South Africa for emergency repairs. While we wait for it to come back, we are having a slightly aperture-free time, only now having phone-cameras, and our small point and press digitals.
Interestingly some experiences can be better without the camera. On the river last weekend, we came across a group of otters sitting on the rocks, munching their freshly caught fish - and simply enjoyed watching them through the binoculars - instead of through a camera viewfinder, wishing madly for a zoomier lens!
The level of the river: If any readers would like to note how the level of the river has dropped, here is a photo of my favourite ex-semi-submerged palm tree, which is now a fully visible long-stemmed palm tree, growing out of a river bank! Older photo from earlier this year, on the right.
We wondered if Smokey might finally have learned his lesson regarding tangling with cobras?
Unfortunately, this question was answered far too soon...last night he was spat in one of his eyes by another spitting cobra, but that is an old, familiar trouble and very easy to fix. I am so pleased that we have been confined to base this month, in order to deal with all the dog/snake dramas round here!
In case I have not stressed this enough, it is H O T. It has been up in the forties celsius regularly. The intelligent cats are dealing with it by sleeping their days away, sprawled out under the fans.
I could also now write a book about how to introduce a new cat to a territory filled with other cats, and how this has broken every rule set down in the online guidelines I consulted back in April! However, I can finally report that the grey newcomer and his territorial brother have broken new grounds in their reconciliation program!
Connie-the-dog has had her first haircut using her special Australian sheep shears, specially posted to her by Peter and Bernie in Australia! I think she looks rather fetching (and a lot cooler!) This photo is taken in the orchard, during our afternoon walk.
The Warthogs: They are also trying to hide from the October weather. This one is risking having his snout driven over when the absent vehicle returns, but does not seem too worried. I think this is one of last year's ex-piglets. I haven't seen any new piglets yet, for this season, but watch this space!
Even being a boring stay at home, I don't seem to have had time enough to post more often on the blog, although I seem to have a lot to say this time!
If you made it all the way to the end, thanks for sticking it out, and do accept some slightly parched, midweek greetings from October-land, where heavy overcast skies are starting to build up...

22 comments:
I did not only "make it" to the end of your lovely report, but was rewarded by such a cute warthog picture! Isn`t the return of your birds just fabulous, even punctually? And your own bananas, and those buffaloes crossing your road, and the Mopane bark - I don`t even know where to stop. Of course I can NOT imagine your heat, as we had frost last night and only 10°C at noon. It will rain here soon, and I would gladly blow some of it over to you! Val also tried to describe 40°, and I only remember our 34° in July which felt like an open oven door. Paco and I will perform a rain dance for you, then, okay?
It's always quite thrilling to see what's happening in your neck of the woods!
Yeeeeeeeha - Ash is settling. . . .
that's grand news! Glad the others are slowly realising to be nice to fellow housemates.
The only greenbacks I have are backs of the beautiful green leaves on the trees outside my balcony and no garden with parsley (and no trees with money!)
Connie looks happy, as does the warthog.
Hope the rain comes soon, but not before your camera comes back as I expect this blog to feature some spectacular summer storm pics
xx
Loved reading your post and getting a glimpse of your life in Botswana, even if it was a HOT glimpe. I've known some hot days in Africa and am glad I had them ;)
There is so much beauty and fun in the world and I enjoyed reading about your love for your environment and the living things in it.
About the parsley: You can make a whole salad out of just parsley leaves and grated carrots and dressed with some olive oil and vinegar. I loved it when I first tried it, and it's got good calcium for your bones (just in case this might be of interest to you).
I also read to the end and was "rewarded" with a warthog! Just love this critter. As a city dweller, I don't think I'd last five minutes in your beautiful country - cobras! Yikes.
you might be strapped for cash at the moment, but what a great place to be in that situation, it could be so much worse couldn't it?
You're so remarkably cheerful, I can't help but smile when I read your words and then fish for the sugar back that I kept in the pocket of my rain jacket. It's gone now, but I still reach for it when I think of you.
Your pets are tough! I guess they'd have to be to thrive in such a climate. You all must be.
Just lovely photos as ever....great to know what's going on in your neck of the woods! Lx
LOL! So it's hot up there, is it?
Love the pic of the warthog and as for the parsley, isn't it amazing how the stuff seeds itself everywhere!
Here's to the coming rains - I hope.
How interesting. Nothing like finding a warthog under your car, I imagine.
Oh my, hope you get your rains soon. I have lived/worked in the California desert where nothing but Jshua trees survive, spindly cactus-type trees that provide little shade to the few prairie dogs and rattlesnakes that survive in holes during day light. Soon, you'll have to worry about too much rain, too.
Loved hearing about your neck of the woods, Karen, and I always appreciate your visits.
I always feel like 'it's time to leave already'? i love being here and reading about the comings and going's at the K & T household and life in Kasane.
Makes me feel back there...
I hope your rains come soon too!
What a lovely post. I hope you've finally got some rain. It rained last night for the first time here and then agian this morning. Yes the temps have been something. Yikes!
I wish I had know about that cobra medicine when we were in Lecheng. We had piles of them and lost a cat to the things. Very sad.Glad your story had a happy ending.
fantastic to hear all your news! am so impressed with the roses in the worm garden!!! wow. and all the seasonal updates and very little about the heat - which i had a big winge about :) hehe
your blog is just wonderful - i enjoyed the otters without the camera too; and congrats too on the parsley growing. hmm no wonder you dont have time...
books should be on their way, i see the mailbag has gone; xxx
word veri: skyway
I'm back in London, to a grey and damp welcome, though today is brilliant and bright, but visiting your blog reminds me of the heat and the beauty enjoyed for my all too brief visit.
Staying home for a while in such an interesting place is no hardship. Enjoy.
We must try and coordinate our next visit to each other hemisphere so that we can meet up for that coffee!
Karen - I can feel the heat from here ... phew! Cobras! Warthogs! Your life is so exciting. I hope you get a reprieve from the 40+ temps soon. We on the other hand were up at our cottage this weekend closing it up and it was 4 degrees -- in the cottage! The rain didn't help either.
Take care my friend and I hope you get your camera back soon.
Oh it was the wait to get back here and sit under the shade of the cooling trees for a moment, before hitting the house to nudge a cat or two up and sit under the fan.Here's to rain coming soon!
xx
Parsley is one of my favorite herbs to grow. My mother used to may a parsley white sauce and put in on everything - cauliflower was best; Cornflakes, not so good.
Heh. We are in full solidarity with you this month as big annual expenses come due and a busy year wandering. That plus the fact that Continental will merge with United so we reserved our 1 free airmiles ticket now to beat any punitive changes... but we also bought the partner ticket as well, which was huge. So yes, ouch on the finances for a couple of months at least. Good news is that we might just get to see you guys again in late June/early July on our way back from Flatdogs to Kruger! If, that is, you are around! :)
Hi Karen. I need to speak to you (through email) about a read-a-thon I'm trying to get going in Bots. Could you email me at lakubuitsile@gmail.com? I'm hoping either you or Val can give me a few ideas. Thanks!
faliI love catching up with you and all of the animals. Sorry you're skint, I hope it is temporary. Our heat has been relieved by cool crispness and slight breezes. I actually got the comforter down last night and awakened a bit stiff this morning...Perhaps we'll see winter after all.
strapped for cash is our mantra at the moment! Glad to see you again!!
Post a Comment