Friday, 8 July 2011

Postcards from all over - Gentle Twitter in progress!

Having rushed into print about the "Gentle Twitter" postcard project that I came across and loved, I then ended up, in my usual spirit of procrastination, in the position of replying to postcards rather than sending them first. This is not actually what I had intended, and I'm afraid my 'tweeting' by postcard has been much more gentle and leisurely than I thought.. When life and its crises got in the way, I left the blogging scene for a while, which is what I tend to do when things get too much. Needless to say my postcards were purchased, and sat, neglected, waiting for attention...

Happily for me, though, I've received some wonderful postcards in the past month or so, from all over the Northern Hemisphere. This has been particularly great for me, as I have not had time to visit anybody's blogs, but the little notes from real people who inhabit some of those spaces have now flown in by airmail!

First one to arrive was from Alan in the UK, and I would have expected no less from the person who initiated this particular project! Thanks Alan, for taking the time, even while preparing to go on holiday!

Then Lori from California sent these gorgeous wildflowers and trees, similar to the images we see on her blog, actually...


Mandy's Central Park postcard was sent in good speedy time, even though she was not at home - quite the opposite of my disorganised behaviour!
"Tut Tut',  aka Beth, sent a photo of Gracelend, and like me, wishes she were a better blogger!
Lizzy Frizzrock, aka Cheryl, sent two postcards,  just like her blog which features photos from her travels...
  
Thanks so much everybody for these little pieces of your world, including the elusive one from France which seems to have gone on a diversion tour first, as it has not yet appeared...

I humbly apologise to those who have not yet received a postcard from me yet, but I am about to embark on the second batch, so watch those mailboxes!

Sending weekend greetings to all from a rather wintry, chilly desk - about to make a cup of coffee to warm my hands up! Will be in touch with you all soon ...

12 comments:

Dumdad said...

What a great idea. I love postcards and have kept the hundreds that have come my way over the years. When my wife and I toured Australia for six weeks I sent out about 90 postcards. And, this sounds silly but in fact makes perfect sense to me, I sent postcards to myself from the various places we went to. I had about 10 waiting for me when I got home.

PS You must be SO famous that the postcards are just addressed to Karen, Kasane, Botswana!

karen said...

Hi DumDad! I just had to pop back in here and note for posterity that although I am of course REALLY famous(!), I actually picked up the sensible idea of blotting out personal details from other postcard-posters. You never know about identity theft, these days when you are putting things on the web! I love the fact that you sent postcards to yourself - what a great idea!

Dumdad said...

Karen,

I actually knew that! Just trying to be funny! You're right to do that. I remember posting an article I'd written for the International Herald Tribune on their oped page and I tipexed my name and inserted By Dumdad.

PS My son's just shown me how to open a twitter account. I have to keep up with all this stuff: so now I blog, I Facebook and tweet. What's next?!

Lyn said...

Karen - we have just come off a postal strike in Canada so my postcard will be somewhat delayed. i guess I join you in the procastinator category! : )

Lori ann said...

i just recieved mine from you! so no more worries that it hasn't arrived. i love it! thank you so much, you are so sweet to remember giraffes.

i'd forgotten i'd sent the wildflowers, now that we are in the middle of summer they are only a memory.

this is a twitter i can commit to (but to be fair i've not tried the other)

have a lovely weekend there!
xox

e said...

I love your postcard to me and will post it soon. Thanks!

tut-tut said...

Yours arrived today! it's so great to get actual mail from blogger pals, isn't it! Great idea to post the cards, too. Connectivity.

family affairs said...

Gosh those postcards bring back memories from 100 years ago when I used to do that chain stuff - how retro and fun. Lx

LindyLouMac said...

What a fun project to be participating in Karen. I used to do postcrossing.com for awhile which was a little similar. Oh and remember blog without obligation :)

malonetravels2 said...

Really, though you claim procrastiantion you get so much done, and so creatively ! Inspirational! Was so great to see you two ! R & L

Cheryl Cato said...

So fun to see all the post cards. I am checking my mail for one from you. I have a couple more to send. Thanks for sharing all these lovelies.

Diane said...

I guess mine never did arrive though sent many months ago. perhaps France does not know where Botswana is!!!! Diane