Wednesday, 19 October 2011

Signed, Hopelessly in Love

I recently read author and fellow blogger Lauri's  newly released book, 'Signed, Hopelessly in Love' and it's my pleasure to write about it here on my blog. This is actually the second stop on her international blog book tour!  *For more blog tour details, see the end of this post.

 
All About Lauri
Lauri Kubuitsile is an award winning, full time writer living in Botswana. Her short stories have been published on four continents and she has 14 published works of fiction, primarily for children.  She’s also written six textbooks, two television series and numerous radio scripts. She has twice won first place in Africa’s prize for children’s writing, The Golden Baobab. Most recently she was shortlisted for The Caine Prize.

'Signed, Hopelesssly in Love'
In brief, the story, set in Botswana, follows the adventures (and misadventures) of quirky teenager Amo, as she deals with life as an ambitious and lively high school girl, while embarking on an unexpected new journalistic career move  - in the role of Agony Aunt for the popular school paper.

I actually found it to be really different, compared to the more usual type of high school stories that I've read in the past. Having been part of the adventure of raising two teenagers in my own life, I have great affection for teens, and enjoy reading about them. I have also maintained my taste in young adult literature, and this young adult book was a really excellent read!

I devoured it speedily, really enjoying this endearing young lady and her world populated with amusing characters, and sprinkled with snippets of absolutely typical Botswana life!


Q & A Session with Lauri
Afer questioning Lauri on some of the points that interested me about her book, I gained some most interesting 'behind the scenes' insight! Read on...


Q.  For me, the book has a lovely uplifting positive feel to it. I am sure it is old fashioned these days to speak of a 'moral' in stories for youngsters... but is it important to you to send some sort of a worthwhile message to the kids of today?

A. I don’t set out to sell a message, but at the same time I like writing and reading uplifting stories. I remember reading books when I was young and they helped me figure out questions about my own life. I would be very happy if my books help a child do the same.

Q.  One of my favourite adult characters in the book, albeit a minor one, is Beauty. Did you feel inspired by a particular person or teacher? Or, knowing how passionate you are about encouraging youngsters to read, is she perhaps more like your own voice?

A.I was a teacher for many years and my husband is a headmaster, so we are a family that loves teachers. I’ve known many Beautys, both as an adult and as a student.  Teachers who inspire children to be their best.  I really think it is one of the noblest things a person can do, to commit their lives to children in that way.

Q.  I would love to read more about the progress of this lovable heroine one day, as well as to perhaps learn more of her background, or the story of her mother. Are you planning a sequel or a series of Amogelang books?

A.When I finished this book I thought straight away it needed a sequel. But that was more than two years ago now. My husband read the book last weekend and he also thinks it needs a sequel. So …maybe…we’ll see!

Q. I could really relate to the scenes, the sense of humour and the issues raised in the book, particularly from my perspective as a Botswana resident. I did feel though that it could definitely be enjoyed by anybody, anywhere. Are you hoping that the book will be read internationally too?

A.Well the book is published in South Africa by Tafelberg, a South African publisher, so already I think people outside of our borders are reading it. Yes, I would love if people in other countries read it and enjoyed it.  

Q. Where did you get your inspiration for the Amo character?

A. I’m not sure, she really just came to me. When I started writing the book my main inspiration was that I wanted to write a book about a mistake, and how we all think our mistakes are much bigger than they actually are. I also like to write books with “take charge” characters, especially children and women, people who are often made to think they have no power. Amo in her round about way is a girl in control of her own destiny and I like that.

Q. Have you had any interesting experiences with witchcraft, and/or traditional healing during your life in Botswana?

A. I have a friend who is a firm believer in traditional medicine and most of what I’ve seen or experienced has come from her. As I’m writing this I’m suddenly realising that a lot of my books have some aspect of traditional medicine in them. My most recent romance, Mr Not Quite Good Enough has a traditional doctor in it who tells my protagonist’s fortune. My children’s book,  Mmele and the Magic Bones, is about Mmele having to bring his grandfather, who is a traditional doctor, back from the ancestors. And I recently finished another children’s book called Thato Lekoko: Superhero and Thato’s friend is learning how to become a traditional doctor.  So I guess I have more interest in traditional medicine than I thought!

Q.  Can you tell me more about the beautiful poem on page 51?

A. The poem is called “This Morning” from a collection by South African poet Lebo Mashile titled In a Ribbon of Rhythm. I love Lebo’s poetry. I’m not a poet myself but I love reading and listening to good poetry. I heard Lebo perform some of her poetry in Cape Town some years ago and I’ve been a fan ever since.

Bookshopping Links:
It is easy to buy Lauri's book online, and it's a great read for anybody anywhere in the world ... if you already have an interest in Botswana stories, so much the better! Please do follow one of the various links listed below!!

Book Depository:

Amazon.com--(limited availability)

Kalahari.com:

Amazon.co.uk:
(claims not released, preorder)

Loot.co.za:


Blog Tour Info:
If you'd like to follow "Signed, Hopelessly in Love" on its tour, have a look at the next destinations coming up:


November 2: Myne Whitman Writes (http://www.mynewhitmanwrites.com/)
  
November 16: Straight From Hel (http://straightfromhel.blogspot.com/)

November 23:Monkeys on the Roof: http://monkeysontheroof.blogspot.com/

For the first stop on the trip, last week, check out Selma's post over here.

October 12: Selma in the City (http://selmainthecity.wordpress.com/)

I'll be resuming service with my usual procrastinated border town musings as soon as I can manage it! Sending mid week greetings to all reading this, wherever you may be...
 

11 comments:

Lauri said...

Hi Karen this is great, thanks for hosting me!!

Lyn said...

Karen - this type of post is a departure for you and a delightful one at that. I am an avid reader/book lover so I am definitely going to check Lauri's book out. I think it will feed my desire for all things African - especially insights into life in Botswana. Congrats to Lauri on her new release.

Lauri said...

Thank for stopping by and for your kind words Lyn.

Lori ann said...

this is cool karen, congratulations to lauri. i see val will be hosting too. well done on an interesting interview. :)

Cheryl Cato said...

Hi Karen, I do enjoy reading stories about Botswana. I have especially enjoyed reading the series No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency. Even though it is written by a man it is very appealing and he seems to have a feel for his characters.
Congratulations to Lauri on the success of her book.

Kristin said...

This sounds great; though, I might want the sequel already!

Family Affairs said...

That all sounds fascinating - good luck with the book Lauri Lx

Anonymous said...

I really enjoyed this, Karen. An excellent interview. I was also interested in the traditional medicine used in the book and wondered if it was a cultural thing. So glad you covered that point. I also really liked the character of Beauty. I think that is one of Lauri's great strengths as a writer - her characters.

Thanks for being such an informative stop on the Book Tour. This was brilliant!

Rosaria Williams said...

I enjoyed reading your review and interview. Thanks for the introduction to such a beautiful read.

Barbara said...

Sounds great! I love books that take place in your part of the world. I will have to read this one!

How exciting that you know the author!

LindyLouMac said...

Hi my friend, back from my travels and trying to catch up with all my favourite bloggers. As you know I am an avid reader and this sounds interesting so I will be adding it to my wishlist, thankyou for the review.